Monday, February 16, 2009

Wishing and Hoping

Patience is a virtue. One, unfortunately, I don’t possess. If I could describe the word “torture,” this weekend would probably be a pretty good example.

I had my 38 week appointment last Thursday, not to mention my last until the inducement date. The night before I had several contractions, to the point that I was timing them to see how long they were lasting. They were about 10 minutes apart for the most part, sometimes reaching 8 minutes, but then stretching back out to 15-20 minutes again. I called Labor and Delivery at Boone, just for some piece of mind, and of course they told me I shouldn’t come in until they were closer together. Okay, I can accept that. Better luck next time, maybe. So at my doctor appointment, I found out I was now 75% effaced, which seemed to be a result of the contractions I had experienced prior. Well, at least it all wasn’t for nothing. Then Dr. Welch made the offer of “stripping my membranes” in an effort to move labor along. It doesn’t necessarily work all the time, but if your body is ready, it certainly can kick start things. So I accepted her offer with fervor and hoped something would happen. She said I had to promise if I went into labor, it would be before the weekend (she had a wedding to attend). I said I would certainly do my best!

So the next morning, I wake up and realize I lost my mucous plug. Didn’t realize it at the time, but once I did, I thought “wow, this could be it!” Once I told my mother, she was on her way down to Columbia. She had not planned to come until Tuesday night, but was convinced all signs were pointing to Haley’s entrance into this world. Cause when it happened to her, she went into labor that day. Like mother, like daughter, right?!?! If only…

Today is Monday, and I feel like a failure. I am at work, as no one would have predicted. I’ve had contractions consistently since Wednesday, and nothing as a result of it. I swear, if my body is not somewhat prepared for my inducement date after all I have been through to that point, I will scream bloody murder. I cannot even sleep in my own bed anymore. I had to sleep on a recliner because my back pains were so intense and I couldn’t figure out if it was back labor, not to mention I was still having contractions about ten minutes apart that kept me up a majority of the night before I was able to get some rest.

I know this will all be worth it come Wednesday morning, but I am holding on by a tiny little thread. Can these next few days fly by…please????????

3 comments:

Mandy, Dustin and Thomas said...

Just a few more days! I'm so proud of you Abby! You are going to be a wonderful mommy, love ya!!

P.S. Thomas said he can't wait to meet her and give her a big wet kiss.

K.M.L said...

Hang in there girl!!!!!!!!!!

The DeVries' said...

Oh girl!! YOU CAN MAKE IT!!! You will love love love being a mommy! I will keep checking daily! You've gotta post pics of your lil' girl come Wednesday (though, you may be in labor all day...ahhh!!) Good luck...push through the pain; I know you can make it. Side thought here...I'm pretty sure for us "shorties" it's a little harder to hang on so long...I mean, we were originally so small, that being this preggers makes us like one big old ball (at least that's how I felt)..there was no more room! Hahaha! Can't wait! Less than 48 hours...count by those...it'll fly by!